This committee promotes cultural exchange for high school students. Committee members solict and interview students for two international programs.
- Year Long Program (students go to a foreign country to attend high school and live with host families for 11 months
- Short Term Exchange Program (students are matched for 4 weeks in the summer in each country).
Committee members mentor Outbound students sent abroad and Inbound exchange students that the Club hosts each year. Members also solicit and coordinate host families for the Inbound exchange students so that they can have the best possible experience while in York.
What is the mission of Youth Exchange?
To Create International Peace and Understanding by establishing international communications through an academic and cultural exchange of high school students. (Approximately 8000 students among 60 countries)
How long do I host an inbound student?
Each student has 3 host families. Family #1 hosts from mid August to the week after Thanksgiving. Family #2 hosts from late November until mid-March (depending on the Easter holiday) and Family #3 hosts from mid-March until mid June when the student returns to their home country.
What are the costs of the Outbound programs?
The year long program costs approximately $7000 depending on the country in which the student is placed. This includes application fee, orientations for student and parents, mandatory medical insurance, business cards, spending money and anticipated in-country expenses, all offset of course by the fact that you don't have the student living at home with you. It does not include the cost of a passport/visa (about $150), immunizations (about $200), or any country specific requirements such as language camp or their medical/liability insurance (about $500). There will be additional costs for airfare (which will vary depending on where the student goes) and for small gifts for the host families. The students will receive a small "allowance" from their host Rotary Club.
The Short Term Exchange costs $280 for application fee and mandatory medical insurance, plus the cost of air fare to the specific country, passport/visa and spending money.
Important things to know
- Two programs are available: year long and Short Term
- Applications for Year long are accepted in September and for the Short Term (summer) program in January
- The committee is always looking for families to host inbound students for approximately 12 weeks and also seek referrals for candidates to become outbound students. Please visit www.exchangestudent.org for more information.